Welcome to Special Event Permits OnlineSpecial Event Permits (SEP) are available to event hosts who wish to provide temporary or infrequent liquor service at events such as family gatherings, private functions, community festivals and manufacturer tastings.
A Special Event Permit permits the host to serve or sell liquor at an event in accordance with BC’s liquor laws and regulations. Event hosts are considered liquor permittees and are responsible for the safety of their guests.
All individuals hosting or serving liquor at an SEP event – including family events - are required to complete a Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) training program.
- A Special Event Server (SES) certificate is required for all events under 500 guests
- A Serving it Right (SIR) certificate is required for events over 500 guests
Don’t have a certificate yet? You may still apply for an SEP however, you cannot host your event until the course has been completed. Please note, anyone that holds a valid SIR certification does not need to take the SES program.
For more information about Special Event Permits, visit the BC Liquor Control and Licensing Branch website.
For more information about Responsible Beverage Service (RBS) training click here.
Who needs an SEP?
In British Columbia, a Special Event Permit is required for any event host planning to:
- Sell liquor at any location that is not licensed
- Serve or sell liquor in a public space
An SEP cannot be used to provide liquor sales or service for events at a private residence.
APPLYING IS EASY
It’s now completely online!
Simply sign in or create an account to begin.Sign in /
Create an account
- Online access from anywhere
- Apply anytime – this site is available 24/7
- Keep track of applications and get instant notification when approved
- Help is available 24/7 and is just a phone call or click away
- One application – no more deciding which forms you need to fill out
- Save time– no more trips to the liquor store, police office or municipal hall for approval
- Step-by-step guide – no more guessing what you need to fill out
- Easy-to-use tools – figure out what you’ll be serving and how much you need before shopping at BC Liquor Stores
- SECURE & TRANSPARENT
- Secure online payment – your information is safe and confidential
- Know what you’re paying – fees are broken down for each of your events
- Upload attachments securely and confidentially
Complete SEP application online
Get approved and pay fees
Shop at BC Liquor Stores
Host your event
Most SEP applications can be approved instantly.
All events over 500 guests require police and liquor inspector review. Some smaller events may require review from police and/or the LCLB’s licensing division.
Events that do not require police or LCLB approvals are approved instantly.
Ready to start an application?
Sign in / create an account to get started.